Second Retford Arts Festival is bigger, broader and better
Saturday 27th – Monday 29th May 2017
The second Retford Arts Festival will be bigger, broader and better! With 17 venues, in and around Retford town, showing work from a range of artists, from published professionals to local amateur art groups, using a variety of styles, it’s going to be big!
And, this year, literature is being included with Charles Enson and Anthony Cropper who will be carrying out workshops, Dawn Cragg giving an evening talk in Spencer’s on the Square, Chris Abbott talking about “Travels of a Cat”, and authors Adrian Gray, Maria Dziedman, and Steven Spurden will also be giving talks.
An exhibition from the nationally acclaimed artist, Susan Isaacs, will open on the first day of the Retford Arts Festival, Saturday 27th May. This will be at The Hub, 11 Churchgate, Retford, DN22 6PA, and will continue until Saturday, 1st July.
The successful first ever Retford Arts Festival in 2016, attracted over 3,500 visitors, and a bigger, broader and better festival is planned for 2017!
- The Hub: Brushstrokes and Retford Life Drawing Group
- St Swithun’s church: hosting a display of 16 independent artists (Saturday and Monday only; wedding on Sunday)
- Harrys Coffee Shop: artist Elda Bowie & entertainment (Saturday only)
- Retford Scout Hut: a new venue featuring the work from the Worksop Art Society.
- Bassetlaw Museum: (Saturday only)
- Spencer’s on the Square: work from 3 artists, including Andy Massey.
- The Bay Tree: North Notts Textile group and Village Art from Treswell.
- Print Ink Co: latest state of the art printing where you can try your hand at printing your own T-Towel. (Saturday only)
- Idle Valley Nature Reserve: a large display of children’s art from a number of local schools.
- Grove St. Methodist Church: a new venue with work from the Pippins Art Group, Sutton Art Group and others.
- Swanyard Studios: home of the Retford Art Society featuring work from their members and venue for workshops.
- Library: supporting exhibition, venue for talks, workshops & other activities. (Saturday only)
- Courtyard Galleries: selected artists.
- Deli & Dine: artist & entertainment
- The Labour Hall: talks & workshop.
- Grapevine Studios, Mattersey. Open Studios & Raku Firing. Raku firing is 10am -2pm. Pre-fired tea bowls will be available to purchase and decorate to fire in the Raku kiln.
The Festival officially opens at 11.00am on Saturday 27th May 2017, outside The Hub, 11 Churchgate, Retford, DN22 6PA. Opening times of venues are mainly 10.00am until 4.00pm, however some locations vary – programmes available from The Hub and Rotary Stall.
Artists exhibiting around the venues include: Jill Atkinson, Iona Birch, Freya Black, Elda Bowie, Denise Harrington, Ginny Hawke, Andy Massey, John Nooth, Kay Nooth, Denise Owen, Mary Pibworth, Cath Ray, Richard Sampson, Rachel Scott, Helen Tucker, Polly Warren, Christine Howard, Chris Daniels, Edward Daniels, Brushstrokes, Village Art Treswell, Pippins Art, Sutton Art, and North Notts Textile Group.
So, it’s bigger, broader and better… and it’s still free to visit! For further information, visit the website