Newark Air Museum prepares to commemorate World War II attack in 2016
The events team at Newark Air Museum is making arrangements for a one day event on Sunday 6th March 2016, to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Luftwaffe attack on the Ransome & Marles bearing factory in Newark-on-Trent, which took place on 7th March 1941.
This commemoration is a joint venture between the museum and the NFS and AFS Vehicles Group; and hopefully Newark Town Hall, Newark Cemetery, NSK (TBC) and other like-minded organisations. The NFS and AFS Vehicles Group specialise in re-enacting wartime and post-war firefighting activities of the National Fire Service and Auxiliary Fire Service, see their website http://nfs-afs.org.uk
This will be part of the weekend of commemorative events, starting at 1:30pm on the Saturday outside the Town Hall with the reading of the names of the 41 people killed, and culminating at the Cemetery on the Monday where 30 of the 41 are buried. The museum will also be remembering the 80th Anniversary of the first flight of the Spitfire, the Rolls-Royce Merlin engines of this iconic fighter used bearings from Ransome & Marles.
The main event at the museum will be a major Air Raid demonstration organised by the NFS and AFS Vehicles Group, who are well-known in 1940s circles for their realistic demonstrations at Woodhall Spa, Rufford, and the Newark Fire Show. The demonstration will start at 1:25pm, the actual time of the air raid 75 years ago, and the events in the aftermath of this will run all afternoon.
To help make the day even more memorable the museum is looking to have visiting displays and participants that are suitable and relevant to that time. We would like to include people and/or displays within the following areas:
- Re-enactment people/groups, particularly those portraying factory workers (the more the better), ARP, Rescue, Police, Fire Service, WVS, Ambulance, Home Guard and British Army
- Wartime and Pre-war cars and military vehicles with their occupants ideally dressing in period clothing
- Anyone with family connections to Ransome & Marles, especially descendants of people who were there in 1941
- WWII Veteran Associations or those that support them commemorating their role within the period
- Music of the time
- Model displays of Aircraft, Ships and Vehicles from the period (items suitable for external display)
- Cockpits/Aircraft/Aircraft Interior Displays/Engines from the WWII period
We are also keen to hear from anyone with ideas for display items, but wonder if they would be relevant to the days theme please contact us with the details and we will explore the subject.
Further details about how to participate can be requested via email at email@example.com